Classic Bread & Butter Pickles
This recipe is not paleo or primal, it is the much loved recipe from my neighbor. He used to make these every year for our annual block party, but he is getting older and has passed the recipe to me. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to attend
this last year;s block party so there were no pickles. I am going to work on this recipe and see if I can make it more paleo friendly by replacing the 3 cups of white sugar with some kind of paleo sweetener, but until then here is the original recipe.
- 2 Quarts sliced cucumbers
- 1/2 Lb White onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 6 cups ice water
- 3 Cups sugar
- 2 1/2 Cups apple cider vinegar
- 1Tbs mustard seed
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Soak the cucumbers and onion in the soaking brine for at least 3 hours (overnight is better
- Combine the pickling brine ingredients and bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain the cucmbers, but do not rinse.
- Pack the salted cucumbers into 2 hot quart jars leaving at least 1/4 inch of head space
- Ladel in the hot pickling brine
- Tightly lid the jars and refrigerate at least 12 hours
- since these are refrigerator pickles they aren't shelf stable, but they will last at least 10 days if they last that long.