Potato Crust Quiche
I LOVE quiche, and I’ve been looking for a way to make a paleo version when I came accross a recipe that used shredded potatoes for the crust. I’m sorry I can’t remember where I saw it and a google search comes up with lots of recipes. Most people that eat paleo shun white potatoes and use sweet potatoes, but I just can’t learn to like them. My hash recipe uses a mixture of half sweet and half white potatoes to I decided to try that. It worked really well so I decided to share it. You can use all white or all sweet potato in this recipe and it should work out.
Additionally I had some left over Kale so I used that instead of the spinach I usually use. Either one works, there’s more nutrients in Kale, but I think the spinach tastes better.
So I shredded 1 each of about a fist sized sweet and russet potato and mixed in 2 tablespoons of grass fed butter. I then pressed the shreds into my Ikea quiche pan (I love this pan)
And throw that in a 450 degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until it starts to brown.
Meanwhile cut up and brown a pound of bacon.
Let the crust cool on the counter for for 10 minutes or so and then layer in the bacon, cooked kale or spinach and add cheese on top.
I never make enough of the egg mixture so if you need more the ratio is 1/4 cup Dairy to one egg.
- 1 fist sized russet potato
- 1 fist sized sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 Tbsp Garlic powder (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp dehydrated onion (Optional)
- 1 Lb Bacon
- 1 Cup shredded cheese ( I Like Gruyere or a sharp swiss)
- 5 oz frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 8 eggs
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 shakes tobasco sauce
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- preheat the oven to 425
- Shred both potatoes and mix in a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients
- Press the mizture into a quiche dish and up the sides (you may have leftovers, put them in smaller ramkins and use for smaller quiche or just fry up as has browns)
- bake for 25 minutes or until the edges start to brown
- remove and cool
- reduce the oven to 350
- While the crust is cooling, chop and brown the bacon
- once the bacon is cooked, drain on a paper towel
- layer bacon, spinich and cheese over the crust
- Mix the last 6 ingredients in a bowl and pour over the quiche
- Use a fork to gently mix the ingredients in the quiche pan
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until it is just set and brown on top. (every recipe I've read says 30 minutes, but mine always takes at least 45 to an hour, just check on it every 5-10 minutes until it's set.)
- Let it cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before curring and serving.