This is my GF’s favorite breakfast that I make, and it is so very very simple. Basically you dice everything up and mix it together and cook until everything is done. In this case the potatoes. It’s even easier if you mix it all together the night before and just cook and season in the AM. The last time I made this I had a pound of locally made chorizo I got from my farmers’ market, but a 12 oz package of aidells works great too.
- 1 Medium sweet potato (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 Medium russet potato (about 1/2 lb)
- (Or use 1 pound of all sweet potato, or red skin, or a mixture of all 3)
- 1 Medium onion (Red, White, Yellow, Sweet, it doesn't matter)
- 1 large bell pepper (I like green for the color, but any color will work)
- 12oz - 1 lb cooked sausage (1 pkg aidelles Cajun Style Andouille, or Chorizo)
- 2-3 tablespoons cooking fat (coconut oil, bacon grease, olive oil)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- heavy pinch salt
- Dice potatoes, pepper, onion and sasuage into 1/4 inch pieces (I recommend doing the onions last) and put them in a large mixing bowl
- Using your hands mix the first 5 ingredients until everything is evenly distributed.
- If making later stop here and place in a covered bowl or a zip top bag with as much air removed as possible. The mix will alst for about a week in the fridge.
- Heat up a large pan and start with 2 tablespoons oil.
- When the oil is hot add the potato mixture and cook until the onions are just translucent.
- Add the spices and season to taste.
- When both types of potatoes are cooked through it's done, or you can go a little longer to get some color on the potatoes.