This si my go-to “spaghetti” sauce. It’s based on one of the first recipes my mom ever taught me. I’m working on a version using only fresh, or home canned tomatoes, but for now try to find BPA free cans and as always, organic is usually better. I use organic, no salt added, and sometimes I can find cans with italian seasining already added. Fire roasted is good too.
- 2 6oz Cans Tomato Paste
- 2 15oz Cans Tomato Sauce
- 2 14.5oz cans Diced tomatoes
- 2 Bell peppers, Diced (I like green for the contrast in color)
- 1 medium Onion, Diced
- 1 8oz Package mushrooms, Sliced (I like Crimini, but just about any type will work)
- 2 batches Italian Sausage (or 1 pound hot and 1 pound sweet Italian sausage)
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 large clove fresh garlic)
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil, divided
- Empty all 6 cans into a large pot, or I use my crock pot)
- Sweat the peppers for about 5 minutes on mediumheat in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, then add to tomatoes
- In the same pan, sweat the onions on medium heat for about 5 minutes in another tablespoon of oil, If you are using fresh garlic, add to the onions when they are almost done, careful not to burn the garlic- add to the peppers and tomatoes
- Again in the same pan, saute the mushrooms until golden brown and add to the sauce
- If you like a less chunky sauce you can use your immersion blender to puree everything at this point, I like it chunky so I skip this step
- Add the Sausage to the pan and brown, breaking it up as much as possible, and add to the sauce.
- Add the Italian seasoning and Garlic powder
- technically it's done as soon as everything is heated through, but several hours on low in the crock pot will develop better flavors, and it's even better if you let it sit over night in the fridge and then re-heat it.