I made this salsa for out block party last year (2013) and it was a hit, so i made it again for this year. The recipe makes a very large batch, but I’ve never had leftovers. This year we put it on some cod fish tacos a neighbor made. As well as my non-paleo friends ate it like tradional salsa with tortilla chips.
- ½ seedless watermelon
- 1 large Onion
- 1 Bell pepper (any color, I use green for the color contrast)
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 2 large cloves garlig
- Juice of a lime
- Juice of a lemon
- Fresh Hot peppers ( I usually use 1 Jalapeno, 1 Serrano, and 1 Habenero, but adjust to your heat tolerance)
- ½ small can Chipotle peppers in Adobo
- heavy pinch salt
- about 2 Tablespoons ground Cumin
- 2-3 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar (red wine vinegar will work too)
- Cut the watermelon into ¼ inch dice – Put in a big bowl
- Mince the onion fine – add to watermelon
- Add the tops of the cilantro, garlic, lemon & lime juice, and pepper(s) (I de-seed them all) to small food processor and blend until you have a paste (Alternatively you can chop everything really fine with a knife without the lemon and lime juice, just add that to the big bowl of everything else, but I find my little food processor does the work really well) – Add to the watermelon/onion mixture
- add the salt and cumin and vinegar and mix everything up. Chill and then taste and adjust the seasoning, it's best the next day when everything has had time to meld.
- Sometimes it needs more lime and or salt, but it's best to adjust the seasonings after it's chilled.